Wednesday, June 25, 2008

West Side Rooters at Harry Carays

Between spending hours at Alta Vista last week printing the book and trying to figure out the world of self publishing, I never got the chance to post these pictures. Another very cool event that happened last Wednesday night at the excellent new Harry Caray's in Wrigleyville was the first meeting of the West Side Rooters Fan Club (http://www.westsiderooters.com/). This group has been organized by PR master Grant DePorter of Harry Caray's along with Dutchie Caray, Ernie Banks, Ryne Sandberg and others. It is in honor of the very first Chicago Cubs Fan Club... way back in 1908. You might recall that was the last time they won the World Series... so hopefully bringing back the fan club will bring back the title to Chicago as well. I have actually been asked to be the official photographer for the West Side Rooters and that is an honor. Here is a picture from the event:
(left to right: Ronnie "Woo Woo" Wickers, Ernie Banks, Grant DePorter, Dutchie Caray, Will Byington)



Normally, I am behind the scenes and do not always get autographs and such, but when opportunity to get a baseball signed by Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks himself... I could not pass it up. I the am SOO glad that I did. He signed it with what is now my motto for life and this project in general... "To Will... Think Big... Ernie Banks.... Mr. Cub".


Crazy. I seem to be saying that a bunch lately... crazy and wow... this whole process has been slightly overwhelming, fun, interesting and amazing... and it is only beginning. Not only did I see Ernie on Wednesday. Friday morning one of my radio heros - Johnny B - the one and only Jonathon Brandmeier of WLUP-FM in the morning was doing his show from Harry Caray's. So I trekked over there before going to the WXRT event at the Cubby Bear and snapped some shots... this one is a favorite:
(left to right: White Sox legend Ron Kittle, Jonathon Brandmeier of WLUP, Mr. Cub Ernie Banks, Photo by Will Byington)


From there I headed over to XRT's Baseball Broadcast and saw great music from Mike Doughty and Michael McDermott and then a Cubs sweep of the Sox that weekend. Can it get any better???

No comments:

Post a Comment