Saturday, February 7, 2009

Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan's Ships and Dip V Cruise

(The Barenaked Ladies with Sarah McLachlan onboard Ships and Dip V - Photography by Will Byington)

Just over a month into 2009 and I have completed three of the five cruises I will be doing this year for Sixthman. Cruise #3 was the Barenaked Ladies' Ships and Dip V cruise... this year with special guest Sarah McLachlan among many others.

The Barenaked Ladies are one of the most inventive bands around and constantly strive to put on a memorable concert. I first learned of them back in '95 or so but did not see them till I was living in Hollywood, CA in the fall of 2000. If you get the chance to see them ever... do it.

(Stephen Page of The Barenaked Ladies onboard Ships and Dip V - Photography by Will Byington)

The same goes for the special guest they brought along this year. I had heard of her back in high school and then while interning at Q101 in Chicago back around 1997... but Sarah McLachlan had always been on my radar... but I was never a HUGE fan... that is... until now. WOW.... she put on a concert that renewed my faith in music... and to steal the generic term... could save your soul. She was beautiful, sweet, funny and amazing in concert. I could go on and on... Here is the deal, most people talk about how great my job is and I can't complain... but usually, esp. on these boats... I only get to see three or four songs at most as I have to run off to the next concert, event or happening on the boat. I only catch glimpses. But with Sarah's shows each night... the three times she performed... I sat in the venue, usually on stairs between rows of seats and attentive fans and watched the entire show. And was blown away. I also had the pleasure of meeting Sarah and it made the trip.
(Photographer Will Byington with Sarah McLachlan onboard Ships and Dip V - Photography by David Bergman)

The rest of the cruise was excellent as well. I am glad to say I had the chance to also continue to get to know the band Gaelic Storm. They are a party on stage and anyone watching them gets wrapped up in the festivus. They are friends and fun to hang with. Thanks for letting me into your circle... and can't wait for the HOB in Chicago coming up in March.
(Gaelic Storm onboard Ships and Dip V - Photography by Will Byington)

Bring the Mexican wrestling masks y'all. This shot was taken of Gaelic Storm just after their show on Ships and Dips V.

(The Barenaked Ladies onboard Ships and Dip V - Photography by Will Byington)

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS of FRIENDS and BANDS FROM SHIPS N DIP V:
GALLERY #1
GALLERY #2

p.s. this post would also not be complete without mentioning GREAT BIG SEA... Just like the Storm, these guys from Newfoundland, Canada are exceptional musicians and put on one hell of a show. See Them Also!

No comments:

Post a Comment