Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Cubs have returned to Wrigley, and more...

The Cubs have returned to the Friendly Confines and the 2009 season. I attended the first 4 games of the season and it could not have been more fun. My college roommate made his annual trek north and some exciting games were witnessed. It should be a fun year in Wrigleyville. I am including a few of my favorite shots from the past days...

The weekend of Easter, April 11 & 12th was spent being a tourist in Chicago and time in Naperville with family for the holiday. My friend's Jon and Amanda who I have known since the days of college at Alabama came to town and we played tourist. Visiting the Bean and the John Hancock building is always fun and a great way to remember the amazing city that Chicago is. Even when you live here day in and day out... you sometimes forget the beauty of the Windy City by the lake.


As life gets busier, you also forget the simple things that used to make us all laugh and smile... like an easter egg hunt at Easter... Watching my almost 5 year old nephew Colton race around my parent's yard looking for Easter eggs was a joy and instant adventure. The simple game of finding colored eggs amongst the grass made his day. Even when the eggs were in plain sight... can you find the egg in the picture below?


I also spent the second half of Easter Sunday waiting for my college roommate to get into town by trekking around the northside of Chicago with my friend Sean Hughes. Sean is a budding photographer and has an excellent eye. We walked around Roscoe Village and Wrigleyville and snapped shots of everyday life. It is a trek that I hope to do more of this summer... and invite any and all who want to be photographers or fancy themselves as photograph hobbyists.... to join us. Let me know if this is something that would interest you. This shot of Salt & Pepper is just two short blocks from my apartment... but I love the way this shot came out. You can see more of the images I captured on my Facebook page.


Another highlight of my week came Tuesday night... as I visited Schubas for the excellent Will Hoge's return to the stage! Will is one of the most talented and passionate performers in rock and roll today... think of a young Bruce Springsteen meets early Rolling Stones meets Bob Dylan and you might have an idea. His songwriting is amazing and the passion with which he performs is second to none. Last year, sadly Will was in a bad accident that put him in the hospital and through many surgeries and rehab, he has just returned to the stage and doing what he does best. He performed the show with his band of talented musicians at his side... all sitting down... and it was still one of the best rock shows I have witnessed in a long time. Seeing Will Hoge on stage renews your faith in the music business. It did mine. If you have not checked him out... please do so... you owe it to yourself.



Will also brought along an opening act that is quickly becoming one of my favorites... Katie Herzig. I saw her at Schubas with The Spring Standards shortly after the Rock Boat back in January and then again on the CAYAMO cruise. Katie is the lead singer of a three piece band from Nashville and along with Claire on Cello and Jordan on accordion and a mix of other instruments... they create some of the most moving and beautiful music you will hear.



On a side note... I also caught the end of Vienna Teng's show at Schubas on Friday night... and this blog is not big enough for all the things I could say about her. She was also on CAYAMO (Can you tell I liked that cruise?) and while I did not photograph her show this time... the music she creates with bandmate Alex Wong is almost spiritual.

So between photographing the city, family and bands... it was also opening week of Cubs games at Wrigley Field. I caught 4 of the first 5 home games at Wrigley before the rain-out tonight. Here are a few of my favorite shots from the Friendly Confines... truly one of my favorite places on earth:





Now it is early Monday morning and another week is ahead of me. I am still wrapping up photos from all the cruises and other various projects here in Chicago. A week from Wednesday I will be heading south to New Orleans for the Jazz and Heritage festival... and then... just under a month from now... I will be heading off to Europe for a few weeks of photos and adventure. Plans are being put into place now... but you can follow the progress at http://www.willseuropeanadventure.com. More on that... coming soon. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment